Thursday 5 January 2012

Metallics and Naturals

Much to my disappointment I haven't found a supplier for kraft cardstock here in the Netherlands yet - which is a little frustrating ... So if you do know about one, please let me in on the secret! As a substitute for kraft paper I use a recycled paper/cardstock made out of 75 % post-consumer waste paper and 25 % twigs. The paper has a lovely rustic look and feel and, therefore, is a good substitute. To be honest I would have preferred a slightly heavier/thicker paper/cardstock for some applications, but, since this isn't readily available in my little corner of the world, I have come up with ways to work around the problem, such as using two layers of the recycled cardstock or combining the cardstock with another kind of (coloured) cardstock to give it more substance.

This is how I discovered the beauty of metallics and naturals in combination and now I cannot get enough of it! It is as if a bit of metallic gold or silver or a touch of a pearlised shimmer does wonders for the humble sheet of rustic paper or even the brown paper bag! It just glams it up a little. So, nowadays I often combine my kraft paper equivalent with luxurious metallics and pearlised pastels! The great thing is that this more unusual paper partnership could work both ways: the luxurious metallics could add some glamour to your brown paper projects, but rustic brown or kraft paper could also tone things down a little - the perfect solution if you love the shimmer of pearlised or metallic paper, but fear that it might be too glamorous on its own to work for a less formal event.



This favour box by Make Merry! is a perfect example of how pretty metallics and plain brown paper or kraft paper could look together. There is a step-by-step tutorial here.


I am so in love with this combination of gold mini bunting and natural paper. I also like the gold envelope liner detail.


Gold foil letters on brown paper. Simple but stunning!


Silver foil lace around a brown paper package. Pretty!

I was so inspired that I've added some more gold and silver items to my Etsy shop:




I've painted these gold and silver mini pegs/clips by hand. This is quite a time consuming process, but the end result is so much fun! I've immediately clipped some to a brown paper bag, just to see what it would look like!

Happy crafting!






No comments:

Post a Comment